One of the most essential parts of the Alcoholics Anonymous program is sponsorship. Finding a good sponsor is one of the best things that you can do to ensure that you will complete the 12 steps successfully. So here are a few qualities that you will want your sponsor to have:
1. There must be no sexual component to the relationship. This is why for heterosexuals, it is advised that a sponsor be a person of the same sex. Homosexuals may best be served by a sponsor of the opposite sex. The point is that your sponsor should be someone you will not develop sexual or romantic feelings for.
2. Your sponsor should have already completed the 12 steps successfully. It’s hard for someone to coach you through the 12 steps unless they have worked them themselves. You want to make sure your sponsor has already worked the steps.
3. Your sponsor should also have a sponsor. This will ensure that your sponsor is able to stay humble and allow someone else to lead him through the path of sobriety.
4. Your sponsor should always be honest with you. You have to make sure you get a sponsor who will tell you the hard truths and push you to really do what you need to do to work the steps.
5. Your sponsor should be doing some type of service work. A good sponsor will be doing everything he or she can to bring the program to alcoholics who are still suffering, whether that’s showing up early at meetings to make coffee or answering phones at the central office.
6. Your sponsor should be a positive person. Your sponsor should be someone that you want to be around, someone who makes you laugh, someone who is generally a happy person.
Finding the right sponsor is one of the most important steps that you can take in early recovery. A good sponsor will be able to help you to ensure that you are able to be successful in your journey with recovery.